Carbohydrate counting is an important skill for any healthcare professionals working closely with people impacted by diabetes. Our online course, Cyber Carbs has been developed by the Type 1 Diabetes Family Centre team in consultation with leading diabetes clinicians and community members to be informative, fun and easy-to-follow.
The ten-module course provides you with the latest evidence-based theory and practical advice, including:
- Carbohydrate counting accuracy
- Impact of glycaemic index, fat and protein on blood glucose levels
- Carbohydrate counting apps and resources
- Insulin to carbohydrate ratios and insulin sensitivity
You’ll earn CPD points, receive a certificate of completion PLUS have access to a comprehensive range of downloadable resources for use in your clinic.
Before you start, please refer to the 'Materials' tab to ensure you have everything you need to complete the course!
Before you start!
You will need:
- Course handouts
- In module 1, you will receive the link to your course handouts. Either print them out or have them open as you progress through the course.
- Calorie King app/website
- App - available on Apple and Android app stores
- Calorie King Control My Weight app/website
- App - only available on the Apple app store
- Please create an account via the app/website so you can save your Cyber Carbs recipes.
The video content of these modules will be presented by Amy Rush, Dietitian and Credentialled Diabetes Educator at the Type 1 Diabetes Family Centre, who will talk to you the same as she would talk to a patient. It might be useful to take note of the language she uses and the way in which she explains concepts as a way of delivering information to your own patients. It is styled this way in order to make the relaying of information as simple as possible for you! Be sure to let your patients know about the Cyber Carbs Course for people impacted by diabetes too!
Note to users outside of Australia
- For the purposes of this course, please use the Australian Calorie King website as we have inputted Australian data into the formulae in the quizzes throughout the course. If you use Calorie King websites from outside Australia, you may get the wrong answers in the quizzes! This is because Calorie King has different carbohydrate values assigned to foods depending on the country you’re in due to variations in conditions, for example, the varieties of vegetables grown, sunlight concentrations, and soil quality. The calculations are the same, but it’s important to input the appropriate data, so please use the Aussie Calorie King website.
Note to US and Canadian users
- On nutrition panels in your countries, dietary fibre is included in the carbohydrate total. Dietary fibre is not a digestible carbohydrate, so you need to manually subtract dietary fibre from the total carbohydrates to get the digestible carbohydrate count for the food. In Australia, the EU and Mexico, the dietary fibre is already subtracted from the carbohydrate total on nutrition information panels, so you don’t need to do any maths. The carb counts used on nutrition information panels in Cyber Carbs already have the fibre subtracted.